180 Braemoor Drive, Santa Cruz CA 95060; Tel. (831) 471-9313 Mobile (831) 334-0794;
Email. firstname.lastname@example.org URL: http://www.james-sherburne.blogspot.com/
Senior marketing and business development executive with standout success in positioning high tech companies both domestically and internationally for growth and profitability.
- Totally restructured the marketing and business development organizations of a company, positioning them to double revenues.
- Co-founded, and was an integral part of the senior management team that successfully positioned and launched this start up, increasing global revenues to in excess of $87 million over six years. Resulted in their acquisition by a Fortune 500 corporation.
- Guided the creation of EMEA operations, to include establishing local office presence, hiring of local staff and establishing distribution network. Attained profitability 12 months ahead of schedule.
- Developed the global go-to-market strategy and led the release of a major new technology product line in close cooperation with Fortune 100 technology partners, positioning the company for projected incremental revenue growth of $100 million.
- Successfully executed on go-to-market strategy achieving all targets, resulting in annual revenues of $120 million
Change catalyst who charts strategic direction communicates vision and executes action plans to drive results.
- Created VAR program for EMEA and Asia Pacific markets, rolled out across approximately 500 global partners resulting in a 30x increase in revenues over 3 years.
- Named by Software magazine as having the highest rate of international revenue growth of any software company in North America.
- Charted strategic direction for EMEA operations – full P & L responsibility. Hired local staff, established distribution network and created VAR programs. Achieved profitability on schedule gaining 70% EMEA market share. Most profitable division within the company, representing approximately 50% of the bottom line.
TECHNOLOGY DOMAIN EXPERTISE: Cloud, SaaS, IaaS, e-commerce, Service Oriented Architectures (SOA), Virtualization, Middleware, Complex Events Processing (CEP), Open Source Software (OSS), Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), Java development tools, EJB, Java EE 6, UML, BPM, testing, Web Services, database, data center and performance optimization, software appliances, Hadoop, MapReduce
SPECIAL SKILLS: Fluent German, French
Savvis, a CenturyLink company - $1 billion Managed Hosting Provider division of $18 billion Corporation
2009 – 2012
Director, Managed Product Services
- Full product P & L responsibility for Managed Application Middleware and Web product service offerings within the Hosting organization for both traditional and Cloud environments.
- Successfully released the Symphony Database product line, a unique enterprise cloud database offering providing database and storage capabilities in the company’s cloud environment. Included product positioning, competitive analysis, analyst briefings and press interviews as well as all aspects of a comprehensive go-to-market strategy – considered the most successful product launch in company history. One order alone brought in $27 million in revenues from a partner.
- Instrumental in the development and execution of a coherent, focused strategy for IaaS and PaaS middleware and database implementations on the Cloud, as well as a major go-to-market campaign in conjunction with Oracle. Conducted press and analyst briefings in support of the campaign.
- Successfully negotiated strategic partnerships with Oracle and Citrix as well as a number of others, also concluding reseller relationships with them, with projected incremental revenues of approximately $20 million.
- Successfully launched service offerings for IBM WebSphere and Apace Tomcat application servers with JBoss from RedHat and Oracle WebLogic in the pipeline for imminent release. Devised strategy for bringing these offerings to the Cloud.
- Developed early stage roadmap for a Hadoop “Big Data” service offering.
Senior Director, Product Marketing
- Integral part of the senior management team, responsible for all aspects of product marketing for the TUSC SOA Center of Excellence, a start up group within the organization.
- Created value propositions and key messaging as well as comprehensive go-to-market strategy for global launch SOA services practice, as well as a suite of data virtualization and integration tools with projected revenues of $40 million.
- Worked extensively with key analysts from Gartner and Forrester, conducting dozens of briefings with them as well as a number of other boutique firms. Successfully completed formal messaging review with Forrester
- Created go-to-market and spearheaded global launch for projected $100 million virtualization product line in close coordination with Intel and VMware.
- Worked extensively with key analysts from Gartner, IDC and Forrester as well extensive press and customer contact.
- Reversed previously unsuccessful launch of Real Time product line, capturing $2.1 million in incremental revenues in the first quarter.
- Developed & executed marketing & product marketing strategies for an array of high tech companies, with a strong focus on enterprise software.
- Defined & refined of product positioning; revised launch strategies. Managed ongoing strategic third party software vendor relationships. Clients have included Cassatt, CollabNet, Zend, Agitar, BEA Systems, Sun Microsystems, IBM, JadeLiquid, Telelogic, WebGain , Maxtor, Metastorm (Proforma) & Embarcadero Technologies.
- Parasoft Corporation – $30 million provider of software performance optimization and testing tools; Sr. Vice President, Marketing Redefined the strategic focus of the company, focusing on the development of coherent, solution based enterprise messaging. Restructured the entire marketing organization, creating Product Marketing, Channel Marketing & Business Development efforts.
Established relationships with key analysts & strategic partners - Gartner, IDC, IBM, Sun, Borland, Wind River & Green Hills.
Developed enterprise level product positioning & product strategy. Defined target audiences, established key marketing objectives as well as campaigns to implement them.
Instigated web based lead generation program improving lead capture by 400%.
Senior Marketing Product Manager
- Managed a small software product marketing team with full product lifecycle responsibility for developer & network infrastructure tools.
- Developed worldwide product roadmaps, generating an average $120 million in software revenues.
Manager, Product Marketing
- Created and managed the Product Marketing team for the flagship Rose Business unit targeting the global enterprise.
- Presided over the Java product – most success initial release in the history of the company with over $1 million in revenues in the first quarter of release.
Datastorm Technologies - $25 million provider of data communications software; 1991 to 1995
Managing Director, International
- Full P & L responsibility for all aspects of international operations.
- Attained full profitability within the first 12 months of operations.
- Achieved a five-fold increase in international revenues in the first full year of operations.
Director International Operations-EMEA
- Co-founder – full P & L; profitably established four major foreign subsidiaries throughout Europe while resident expatriate.
- Defined, evolved & executed all aspects of the European marketing strategy into a coherent, solution based enterprise program.
- Increased EMEA revenues of $200,000 to $27,000,000. Gained 70% EMEA market share.
B.A. - Political Science (International Relations) University of California, Berkeley, California